Appointment of Two Members of the Board of Trustees of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, and Designation as Chairman and Vice Chairman

October 29, 1982

The President today announced his intention to appoint the following individuals to be members of the Board of Trustees of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Smithsonian Institution, for terms expiring October 23, 1988. These are reappointments.

William J. Baroody, Jr., will be designated Chairman. He is president of the American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research (AEI). He served as executive vice president of AEI in 1977 - 1978. In 1973 - 1974 Mr. Baroody was Special Assistant to the President and, later, Assistant to the President in 1974 - 1976. From 1969 to 1973, he served as Assistant to the Secretary of Defense. From 1961 to 1968, he was legislative assistant and press secretary to Representative Melvin Laird. Mr. Baroody was graduated from Holy Cross College (A.B., 1959). He served in the U.S. Navy in 1959 - 1961. He is married and has nine children. He resides in Alexandria, Va. He was born in Manchester, N.H., on November 5, 1937.

Robert Adam Mosbacher will be designated Vice Chairman. He has been an independent oil and gas producer since 1948, serving as chairman and chief executive officer of Mosbacher Production Co., of Houston, Tex. He has served as director or chairman of the following groups: the Texas Heart Institute, the Mid-Continental Oil and Gas Association, the American Petroleum Institute, the National Petroleum Council, the American Petroleum Landmen, and the All American Wildcatters Association. He served as national finance chairman of the George Bush for President Committee in 1980 and the President Ford Committee in 1976. Mr. Mosbacher graduated from Washington & Lee University (B.S., 1947). He has four children and resides in Houston, Tex. Mr. Mosbacher was born in Mount Vernon, N.Y., on March 11, 1927.