Accordance of the Personal Rank of Ambassador to Charles R. Carlisle While Serving as Special Negotiator in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of State for Economic and Business Affairs

October 11, 1984

The President has accorded the personal rank of Ambassador to Charles R. Carlisle, of Vermont, in his capacity as Special Negotiator in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Economic and Business Affairs, Department of State.

Mr. Carlisle entered the Foreign Service in 1956 as international economist in the Trade Agreements Division in the Bureau of Economic Affairs. He was political officer in Bogota (1958 - 1960) and commercial officer in Melbourne (1960 - 1962). In 1962 - 1963 he attended advanced economic studies at Harvard University and was minerals officer in Santiago in 1963. In the Department he was economic planning officer of the Office of Cuban Affairs (1963 - 1966) and senior staff assistant to Assistant Secretary for Inter-American Affairs (1966 - 1967). In 1967 he was economic officer at the United States Mission to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization in Paris and Brussels. In the Department he was Chief of the Industrial and Strategic Materials Division in the Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs (1967 - 1968) and special assistant to the Under Secretary of State for Economic Affairs (1969 - 1970). He resigned from the Foreign Service in 1970.

In 1970 - 1971 he was Director of the International Action Branch of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development and Chairman of the Lead-Zinc Producers Committee in 1971 - 1974. He was vice president of St. Joe Minerals Corp. in 1974 - 1983 and president of Man-Made Fibers Producers Association, Inc., in 1983 - 1984. In 1984 he became Special Negotiator in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Economic and Business Affairs, Department of State.

Mr. Carlisle graduated from the University of Cincinnati (B.A., 1953) and Harvard University (M.P.A., 1963). His foreign languages are Spanish and French. He was born April 11, 1929, in Marietta, OH.