Proclamation 5836 --
Withdrawal of Nondiscriminatory Treatment for Products of
the President of the
Pursuant to section 402(c) of the Trade Act of 1974, as amended (``the Act'')
(19 U.S.C. 2432(c)), I previously waived the requirements of sections 402(a)
and (b) of the Act (19 U.S.C. 2432(a) and (b) with respect to the Socialist
Republic of Romania (``
2. The Government of Romania has announced that it has decided to renounce the renewal of nondiscriminatory treatment accorded to the products of Romania by the United States subject to the terms of section 402 of the Act (19 U.S.C. 2432).
Accordingly, I have decided to allow the waiver for
4. Section 404(c) of the Act (19 U.S.C. 2434(c)) authorizes the President to suspend or withdraw any extension of nondiscriminatory treatment to any country pursuant to section 404(a) of the Act (19 U.S.C. 2434(a)).
5. Section 604 of the Act (19 U.S.C. 2483) authorizes the President to embody in the TSUS the substance of the relevant provisions of that Act, of other acts affecting import treatment, and of actions taken thereunder.
Therefore, I, Ronald Reagan, President of the
(1) Effective with respect to all articles the product of Romania that are entered, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, into the customs territory of the United States on or after July 3, 1988, such articles, whether imported directly or indirectly, shall be subject to duty at the rates set forth in the Rates of Duty column 2 of the TSUS.
(2) General Headnote 3(d) to the TSUS, setting forth those countries whose products, whether imported directly or indirectly, shall be dutied at the rates of duty shown in the column numbered 2 of such schedules, is modified by inserting in alphabetical sequence ``Socialist Republic of Romania''.
The action taken in this Proclamation shall be effective
Witness Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of June, in
the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eighty-eight, and of the
[Filed with the Office
of the Federal Register, ,