Proclamation 5925 -- To Modify the Import Relief on Western Red Cedar Shakes and Shingles
the President of the
In Proclamation 5498 of June 6, 1986 (51 FR 20953), pursuant to sections 202
and 203 of the Trade Act of 1974, as amended (the Trade Act) (19 U.S.C. 2252
and 2253), I proclaimed import relief with respect to wood shingles and shakes,
provided for in item 200.85 of the Tariff Schedules of the United States (TSUS)
(19 U.S.C. 1202). This relief took the form of a temporary duty increase for
such shingles and shakes of western red cedar entered, or withdrawn from
warehouse for consumption, during the period
3. On the basis of the information and advice received from the USITC and the Secretaries of Commerce and Labor, I have determined that recent market trends have impaired the effectiveness of import relief provided to the domestic industry. Accordingly, I have determined that it is in the national interest to accelerate the reduction of import duties.
4. Section 604 of the Trade Act, as amended (19 U.S.C. 2483), authorizes the President to embody in the TSUS the substance of the provisions of that Act, of other acts affecting import treatment, and of actions taken thereunder. Further, section 1204 of the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988 (the 1988 Act) (19 U.S.C. 3004) authorizes the President to proclaim such modifications to the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTS) as are necessary or appropriate to implement the applicable provisions of statutes enacted, Executive actions taken, and final judicial decisions rendered, after January 1, 1988, and before the effective date of the HTS.
Therefore, I, Ronald Reagan, President of the
(1) Part 2A of the Appendix to the TSUS is modified as provided in section (a) of the Annex to this Proclamation.
(2) Chapter 99 of the HTS is modified as provided in section (b) of the Annex to this Proclamation.
(3) (a) The modifications to the TSUS made by this Proclamation shall be effective with respect to articles entered, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, on or after the date of publication of this Proclamation in the Federal Register.
The modifications to the HTS made by this Proclamation shall be effective with
respect to articles entered, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, on or
Witness Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand this 21st day of December, in the
year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eighty-eight, and of the
[Filed with the Office
of the Federal Register, ,
Note: The annex was printed in the ``Federal Register'' of December 23.