April 23, 1987 To the Congress of the United States:
In accordance with Section 161(b) of Title 10, United States Code, this is to inform you of changes to the unified and specified combatant structure which I have recently approved.
1) Establishment of the unified U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOC).
2) Establishment of the specified Forces Command (FORSCOM).
3) Establishment of the unified U.S. Transportation Command (USTRANSCOM).
4) Disestablishment of the specified Military Airlift Command (MAC), to be accomplished upon the certification of CINCTRANS to the Secretary of Defense and the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, that TRANSCOM is fully operational.
5) Disestablishment of the unified U.S. Readiness Command (USREDCOM) with transfer of designated functions to U.S. Central Command, U.S. European Command, U.S. Southern Command, U.S. Transportation Command, and Forces Command.
The White House,
April 23, 1987.